Product Review: Prisma Micron and Graphic Pens

The Prisma Micron and Graphic pens provides a large variety of pen nib sizes to meet the needs of many different project types involving pens. When I started out doing pen work and comic book art I used the three sizes provided by Sharpies to do all my work however I soon realized that I would need a better set of tools to advance my craft.
While attending a comic convention at the beginning of last summer I asked a professional comic book artist for a recommendation on pens that would be good for not only sequential art, but pen work in general. He suggested Micron Pens.


I personally now own the full set of the Pigma Micron pens and the Pigma Graphic pens. The ink inside the pens never bleed onto the next page, and dry relatively quickly. One of my favorite things about these pens is the number of nib sizes they have available. You can get a remarkable variation of line widths from just nine pens.  Below is a lineup of the pens and the marks they make when you use the pen right on the tip. If you turn the pens on their side you can get more varieties of line width as well.


One con about these pens is that sometimes they leak and you may not notice until you open the pen. Usually you can clean them up and they will still work, but never open them above the piece you are working on. They could drip ink if the leak is bad enough. It doesn't happen often, but is something to be aware of.
Overall I think that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of these pens. I love using them for detailed pen work and comic book drawings. Here is a wolverine Pinup I did using these pens. Happy Drawing!

Comments

Popular Posts