Micron Pens Tips and Tricks


I have already given you a review on what I think of Micron pens, so here are a few tips for using them. Unless you are extremely confident in your drawing capabilities I would always recommend starting out with a pencil outline before starting the pen work. I know that I personally spend a lot of time on the outline in order to save myself from making mistakes further down the road. Micron pens are permanent. If you make a mistake the only way to get rid of it is to either work it into your drawing or use whiteout to go over it. Although I would suggest going with the first option. One of my professors refers to mistakes as “Happy Accidents”. You never know what a mistake could blossom into in the long run. While this is the case that is only in the event that you make a mistake. Being cautious can help you prevent them all together.
However in order to try to prevent making mistakes it is smart to work semi slowly with pens. This will allow you to maintain control over the medium and produce quality work. Unless you have a looming deadline there is no reason to rush through inking in a drawing. When you are using Micron Pens don’t push extremely hard while drawing. This can cause the nib to break and the pen to leak which is a big mess to clean up when it starts dripping.

Micron and Copic Markers

I like to use Micron Pens mostly for creating comic book styled art. Because of this I always use them alongside another medium. Depending on what I am working on I either use Copic Markers of Faber Castell Pitt Pens for black and white work. Or I use Prismacolor Premier colored pencils for pieces in color. My main recommendation for using other mediums with Micron Pens is try not to go over the pen with the other medium. This can cause the pen to bleed or be pulled into the other pigments and it creates a messy looking finish.

Micron and Prismacolor Colored Pencils

Micron Pens are great tools and work well if you give them both the time and effort to create a seamless drawing. As with all mediums it takes practice to become proficient with using Micron Pens. Don’t let that dissuade you. Every new medium you try makes you a stronger artist.

If you have any questions on something I failed to mention or anything at all, leave a comment or send me a message through the contact form! Have a great day!

Comments

Popular Posts