Copic Markers Tips and Tricks

I only own a few Copic Markers but I’ve been using the ones I have for about a year now so here is my advise on using them effectively. Before you go out and spend hundreds of dollars on these markers (yes, that is easily possible) do your research. Try to decide what purpose you will be using them for. Do you want to do full color renderings in marker? Or are you just interested in black and white? In my case I only wanted some great gray markers to go along with my Micron Pens. I usually only use these markers for comic book related art, and they work great for that. So in total I have only bought four Copic markers, and they have worked well for me so far.

Blending

I find that when I work with Copic Markers it is easiest to start out with you lightest shade and add on darker ones over it. This helps to create a gradual gradient as you work. Also as you add on darker values you can go back in with the lighter values and blend the edge where the two shades meet together. When first starting out using the Copics you may run across what is labeled a “Colorless Blender” Do not be fooled. This does not, in fact, blend markers. It is actually used for blending colored pencils. When you use it on the markers it takes away the pigments you have already put down on the paper. This can be nice if you color in an area you didn’t mean too. But don’t try to use it as a blender or your drawing will end up with white splotches all over it.

Ink Refills and Replacement Nibs

One of my favorite things about Copic Markers is that with the right tools you can make them last a very long time. When looking at pricing you may think that they are way over priced for a simple marker. However Copic sells bottle of ink for all their Copic Sketch Markers as well as replacement nibs for the marker tips. I have the ink refills for all the Copic markers I have bought and they have lasted nearly a year and are still going.
Refilling your markers is a fairly easy process. You can either pull the nib out and pour the ink in that way, or simply place drops of ink onto the nib and let them absorb in. The amount of ink you use is really at your own digression. If you want to be sure that your marker is all the way full again you can take the cap off the other side of the marker and keep putting ink in until ink drips from the other side. However be careful when you use that method. That fully saturates the nibs for a few minutes and can make them difficult to work with if you start drawing right away.

Daryl Dixon Comic Panel done with Copic Markers and Micron Pens 

Copic Markers are a great product and top of the line for artists who feel that they are ready for a professional set of markers. If you have any other questions regarding Copic markers or anything else feel free to comment below or send me a message through the Contact Form at the bottom of the blog. Thanks for reading and happy drawing!  

Comments

Popular Posts